Sign up for updates & app news
How can I back up my recordings?
When updating the app, your recordings may be erased, but you can use iTunes to back them up and restore them later. You can also use this technique to record multiple voices and restore the voice recording that you want at different times.
What you need:
1. A computer PC/MAC
2. The software installed by iTunes
1. Connect your device (iPhone/iPad) to your computer via the USB/Lightning cable.
2. Open the iTunes software on you Mac/PC.
3. Click on your device. (Note: Be aware that your device needs to be authorized by the computer that you are currently using in order to back up the audio. If you are not sure, please check the iTunes guidelines. If you need to authorize your device with iTunes, please back up your iPhone before you do so.
4. Click on the Apps section.
5. Scroll down until you see the "File Sharing" section, and then you see the app that can be used to back up the recordings. Click on the app Icon.
6. Select the folder "Flying_Squid_Recorded_Sound" and click "Save to."
7. Select a unique folder where you want to store your recordings and click "Save to."
8. In the folder where you saved the recordings, iTunes should have created a folder named "Flying Squid_Recorded_Sound" that contains the audio files for each page that you have recorded. DO NOT change the name of the files or folders; otherwise, if you decide to restore the recording, our app will not work properly.
Updating the app will delete the recordings.
Be careful with automatic updates settings.
We recommend running our app with the latest version, but be aware that updating the app may delete your recordings! If you use the recording feature, please back up your recordings so that they can be restored after the app has been updated.
From IOS 7.0, your device can be set up for automatic updates. If your devices are set up for Automatic updates, we recommend that you back up your recordings often, since updates of our app often happen unannounced.
To activate or deactivate the Automatic Update feature, go to:
Settings > iTunes & App Store > Updates (Toggle the switch either left or right, in order to activate or deactivate the automatic updates feature in keeping with your preference).
How can I restore recordings?
1. Follow the steps One through Five in the "Backup Recordings" Section.
2. Select the folder "Flying_Squid_Recorded_Sound" and click "Add."
3. Search for the folder where you have the backup, select the folder "Flying Squid_Recorded_Sound", and click "Add".
4. You may get a pop-up warning, letting you know that the app already contains some recordings. If you want to overwrite that version, click "Replace"; if you don’t want to overwrite that version, click "Don't replace" or "Cancel."
Sound is not working!
1. Make sure the volume of the device is active. Click on the volume Up/Down button on the side of the device.
2. Make sure that the ringer/silent switch is active. When the orange is showing on the silent switch, that means the phone is in silent/vibrate mode. If no orange is showing, and the switch is in the ‘up’ position, then sounds are on.
3. Restart our app. Double click the HOME BUTTON on your device, then you can see the big preview of each of the apps that are in use. With one finger, just vertically swipe upward on our app. Open the app again, and see if this has fixed the problem.
4. Restart your device. Press and hold down the sleep/wake button at the top of your iPhone or iPad. At the same time, press and hold down the Home button on the front of your iPhone or iPad. Keep holding down both buttons until the screen turns off and then turns back on again, proudly displaying the Apple logo.
5. Update to the latest iOS version. Back up your phone before you apply any updates, and follow the Apple instructions to upgrade to the latest version.
6. If you are still having problems and there is no sound coming from our app, but you still get sound while using other applications, please reach out to us via the contact form provided at the end of this technical support form. Explain, as best as you can, the problem that you are experiencing with your device.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to fix the problem, but we will try our best to identify the problem.
The app crashed
(Go through the following instructions until the problem is solved.)
Sometimes, when many applications are running in the background, the devices may run out of memory while opening some of our graphics; this lack of memory can lead to an unexpected crash. Try to close other running applications.
1. Double-click the HOME BUTTON on your device, so you can see the big preview of each of the apps in use. Using one finger, vertically swipe the apps that don’t need to be running in the background.
2. You can also restart your device to help the app run smoother. Press and hold down the sleep/wake button at the top of your iPhone or iPad. At the same time, press and hold down the Home button on the front of your iPhone or iPad. Keep holding down both buttons, until the screen turns off and then turns back on again, and displays the Apple logo.
3. Update to our latest version of the app. You can do it manually or by pressing Settings > iTunes & App Store. Slide the updates switch to the ‘on’ position. (IMPORTANT! Every time you update the app, your recordings will be lost, so first - back them up.)
4. Update to the latest iOS version. IMPORTANT! Back up your phone before you do it. Follow Apple's instructions to upgrade to the latest version.
5. If you are still having problems, please try to replicate the moment when the crash happened, and reach out to us via the contact form provided at the end of this technical support list. Explain the problem with your device, as best as you can, and when the crash happened.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to fix the problem, but we will try our best.
CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Before you contact technical support please make sure you read our support forms on this page. You may find the answer to your questions right here. Thank you.